Je preduklizena kuchyn a castecne strojovna. Podarilo se opravit auto, takze se muze zase par lidi vratit domu. Byl na lodi truhlar, co my mel mit nastarost interiery – zaciname planovat opravy. Dnes jsem podepsal smlouvu, aby pojistovna uvolnila dalsi penize na opravy. Zitra a pozitri se budou natirat kanony doma na byte.
Today we continued with cleaning the cannons; we clean them and paint them, they will be like new for a while. We returned the rented car then went to the Renault garage where we spent a while trying to get some information about when they will finish the repairs on the Espace. We called to the insurance company to ask what is going on with the repair workers that they were not coming to work. And doing that we spent all day like that. Tomorrow – throwing send out of the boat and cleaning, our never-ending story :-(
The insurance company has finished the investigations, which does not mean the case is closed. The authorities are still interested in one more thing which has not been explained yet. Now, what was the cause of the shipwrecking according to the insurance company? According to their report it was captain’s fault. The insurance company argues that “the captain bumped with La Grace into some undersea rock somewhere near the place of the final shipwrecking. It was probably caused by wrong navigation. This way the propeller got damaged and the helm got out of the sling. With this hardly controllable ship the captain sailed as far as Marbella and he anchored there on a rather inappropriate place for anchorage. He also anchored very close to the shore which is, they say, not that bad if we consider the ship was poorly controllable at that point. Before he could repair the ship there came this strong wind from the south and the waves that threw the boat on the shore, where the keel got ripped off”. And that was it. Honestly, I do not believe it. I spoke with all the crew members that were on board and all were saying the same. I also have the record from the board sight which shows the position of the ship every ten minutes and I also know that the boat had been standing on the spot near the beach the whole afternoon. And I also know that if the ship had had a broken helm and propeller, they would have certainly called me and they would not have waited until they get washed up on shore. They call me to ask about every triviality and they would not call me about this??? Etc., etc… The insurance base its conclusions on the fact the propeller was broken and it could not be broken anywhere near the beach. There is nothing around in the water that could cause such a damage. If we can trust the captain and the crew that were on board, we must admit that the motor was stopped by something very hard, floating in the sea. But such hard things do not flow:-( If somebody had any idea what this could be, please, write me an email to: ShipLaGrace@gmail.com. I am really interested in finding out the truth, which will come out anyway – there are specialists on this! I personally have my own theory of what happened (surprisingly it differs from their story). And I wonder if I am mistaken, too. I repeat: when everything is concluded with the authorities, I will make public their report and open the space for your discussion. I am not happy to conclude my report like this, I would also like to know what caused the shipwrecking, but what can we do. The most important is that the insurance company recognized the claim – thanks for that!!!
Never mind whose fault it was – the crew or the weather will cover the lost. That is why they stopped further investigations, they will not influence the prospective discussion. Another good news: the insurance company decided (probably partly because of the media pressure and maybe also thanks to the embassy intervention) for the full coverage up to 500 thousands Euros. Which is much better than the original proposal up to 200 – 300 thousands. To explain: if you shipwreck you must decide if you say good bye to the boat and ask for the full coverage or if you try to save the boat and go for the repairs. In this case the insurance will cover only the repairs and actually will save some money because it is supposed the damage is smaller. In our case this does not work, because we insured the boat only up to what we paid for the material. We built it ourselves, so if we want to know the real value of the bout we must add twice or more for work. According to that logic the insurance company see the real value of the ship being something between 1 and 1,5 million. It means that repairing the boat in Spain (for this half a million) is impossible. So we agreed that only the parts indispensable to sail off will be repaired here in Spain, i.e. the motor, generator, electro-installation, hull from outside, and the keel. The rest will pay the owners or do the volunteers, etc. Well, if the damage is, let’s say, 700 thousands, we will have to find some 200 thousands. Clear as that. To conclude: I would like to thank 1) to the insurance company they faced the problem like that. Next time we get our insurance with them a I believe this way we will pay them back in a period of time without accidents. 2) To all sponsors and givers that donated money for “Save La Grace”. To be honest, when my friends were speaking about organizing it I did not believe there could be such solidarity and support among the sailors and public. It is clear now that La Grace will sail again also thanks to you! 3) To all of you who will buy a voyage, because this the best way we can get the money for the ship and the ship can repay to you. The most important point of my today’s essay is that La Grace will sail which is for me (and I hope not only for me) the most amazing thing.
Today, another car (a third one, in total) with a rescue team set off from the Czech Republic. The new heroes, without joking) are: Jirka Vavrik, Milan Stefan, Filip Cepicka, Jose Santos a Monika Dvorska. Filip had to stay at home as a punishment; he punches little girls and he also must do some studying as well:-) but he is really upset for not being able to come when the boat needs him. Apart from that we met Kristina today. An interesting girl from Spain that had had a vision about coming to help us. So she went. But accidentally, it was Saturday, so she slept on the beach for two days waiting for us. We did not want to talk her off her enthusiasm (she already showed how stubborn she is) and we took her home:-) She may be helpful, you never know.
I was thinking we could lose quite a lot of readers if I keep on writing the same every day. There is nothing new! We keep on putting down the list of damages and taking out the ballast. But it is true! The only news is that today we are sleeping for the first time in the new flat and that me and Honza have asked for the residency in Spain (thinks are much easier with it). When the fresh troops are ready, the car will set off from the Czech Republic and replace the guys here. I am a bit upset that I cannot go home at the moment. The dealings with the insurance company go on and thus I will miss the lecture at Boat expo:-(
Another trouble. Naïve as I am, I got the anchor in the (rented) car, plus five people, and went direction Sotogrande. Well, surprise on the motorway, we were stopped by the police and I was fined 40 euros, I did not have more by me. So, the anchor is with the boat already, but what a bad luck, isn’t it?
Today it was only taking sand out of the keel. Let’s continue tomorrow.
Yesterday I spoke with the carpenters’ boss (his name is Salvador Fernandes Rodriguez) and he said that he had been coming for two weeks to see our ship, how much she could stand. When the insurance company asked him, as a main expert on wooden hulls, to work on this ship, he did not hesitate a minute. He said that this ship has to live and that he will take care of it. Now he’s got this responsibility and a lot of problems to solve. But we need not be afraid, they will do the job. His family has been doing carpentry for generations and he was taken aback by the solid wood work on this ship. He was only a bit upset because of the keel. Now we are studying the plans and make changes that would reinforce the keel. We can hope for safer ship now thanks to co-operation with
Cpt.Stadler, who got enthusiastic about our ship when sailing with us last summer. I want to make profit of his experience (he was lecturing on ship balance at a navy school) and reinforce the ship for cases of storms.
Today we are taking the weight off the ship. There is still more than half of it on board, i.e. more than 8 tons. The engine and generator went to the mechanics who are taking them apart and preserve them. They say the engine will work, they doubt about the generator. Apart from that we are still cleaning the ship from inside and working on the list of damages and planing the up-coming works.